1. Insert VistaSP1 DVD and boot the system
2. Create 50GB system partition; must leave the rest unformatted for now.
3. Continue with the Ultimate OS install. Create a simple username with numeric-only password. Numeric only so that you can key it in using remote control.
4. Configure Windows Update to get more updates for other products.
5. Apply all Windows Updates
6. Change disk caching policy to allow advanced caching using device manager. This normally has data loss risk in the case power loss, however machine is backed up to Windows Home Server on a daily basis and therefore benefit outweighs the risk.
7. Format the rest of the disk using 64K cluster size and name it as MediaLibrary
8. Arrange drive letters such that system disk is C, MediaLibrary is D, DVD drive is E.
9. Configure Vista’s Windows Sidebar to not start automatically.
10. Disable Welcome Center
11. Install additional drivers for tuners and other components if necessary
12. Install Silverlight
13. Disable anti-virus security alerts
14. Assign static IP address, ensure DNS records are in-place on the Windows Home Server/DNS server.
15. Enable Remote Desktop connections
16. Enable Run… start menu option
17. Disable UAC (secpol.msc | Run all administrators in admin approval mode: Disabled)
18. Setup Media Center, tuners and media folders.
19. Delete Sample Music, Sample Video and Sample Pictures under C:\users\public
20. Implement 929707 method 2 so that Xbox 360 Media Center Extender can work properly.
21. Setup Xbox 360 media center extender(s)
22. Install WHS Connector
23. Perform full backup using Windows Home Server connector.
24. Enable DVD Library in Vista so that ripped DVD on WHS share can be played back.
25. Setup Sonos Desktop Controller to configure sharing Zune DRM content to Sonos environment from this MCE (non-DRM music library is on WHS, separate server)
26. Setup Zune 64bit
27. Setup Adobe Flash IE plug-in to support various Media Center online media components.
28. Go into MCE shell and configure series recordings.